With international travel grinding to a halt, and domestic travel severely restricted, the tourism industry has been suffering more than most. The key objectives of the COVID-19 International Tourism Adaptation Grant program are to assist tourism businesses to:
- Pivot their product, service and/or marketing to a domestic tourism market
- Meet operating costs while the business hibernates until international markets reopen
This $5 million program is a key element of the Queensland Economic Recovery Strategy: Unite and Recover for Queensland Jobs to help accelerate the State’s recovery from COVID-19. The program will deliver immediate benefits and provide cash flow relief to help tourism and events businesses to survive and revive.
Tourism businesses who can demonstrate they have suffered losses of income because of the international travel restrictions can apply for grants between $2,000 and $10,000 (excluding GST).
Is your business eligible?
An eligible tourism business must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- have an established operating base in regional Queensland with an international tourism related focus
- have a valid Australian Business Number (ABN) active as at 1 February 2020
- be registered for GST
- headquarters must be located in Queensland and operate outside of the Brisbane City Council, Redlands City Council, Logan City Council, Ipswich City Council and Moreton Bay Regional Council boundaries
- have suffered losses of income because of international travel restrictions and border closures due to COVID-19
- have fewer than 200 full time equivalent employees as at 1 February 2020
- have an annual turnover of more than $75,000
- have NOT previously received a COVID-19 Small Business Adaption Grant – they are not eligible to apply
How can you apply for the Tourism Adaption Grant?
The program is now open, however applications will be processed on a first come, first serve basis and applications will be closed once funds have been exhausted.
You can lodge an application online at https://applyonline.qrida.qld.gov.au/login.
How can Walsh Accountants Help?
If you are interested in using this grant to invest in the development and sustainability of your business, we have all of the knowledge and tools available to assist you.
If you require assistance to determine your eligibility or with lodging your application, contact the team at Walsh Accountants as soon as possible to discuss.